Greetings,

I filed a bug in Launchpad describing problems with my HP optical drive that
stopped being recognized upon upgrading to Karmic.  I am hoping this way to
encourage that this very basic functionality be returned in Lucid.  If you
can contribute to a solution, please do so in Launchpad.

I am not much of a techie, so my description of the problem is probably
lacking needed information.  Here is the text:

<<

I have an HP dvd840 CD/DVD burner which worked in previous versions. This
drive will work to boot a live CD; if I boot generic Ubuntu Karmic from a
USB key I can use the drive normally for playback. I did not test it for
burning.
>From the menu, Places->cdrom0 produces a window with the error: "Unable to
mount cdrom0 Special device /dev/scd0 does not exist" I have perused similar
problems on the forums, asked on the Ubuntu Studio list, and looked in
Launchpad, so far nothing suggested has worked. I have added modules to
/etc/modules--I can't remember what else I tried.

In /etc/fstab, it's listed as
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

sudo lshw produces no reference to a CD or DVD ROM.

/etc/modules looks like:
loop
lp
rtc
sbp2
libata
ata_piix
piix
ide-generic

I added the last 4 modules in response to suggestions for a fix.>>

Feel free to comment, especially in Launchpad.

--Paul