Well... I am continuing this discussion with myself. Perhaps someone is
interested to read it in the archive.

I spent another evening with the machine... and I am nearly there... But. Well.
Let's go on.

1. The ubuntu studio kernel based on 2.6.31 doesn't work together with ubuntu
10.04 .
That is my observation. Going from kernel 2.6.32 to 2.6.31 seems to break
things... like the network manager. I installed an own RT kernel based on
vanilla 2.6.33.2-rt13, starting with the standard ubuntu kernel config (no
staging drivers, fixing CPU to Opteron/Athlon64) and with that, the system
basically works:
I got network manager running, also using my 3G USB modem, I got decent latency
with JACK. But I got a very serious showstopper issue that also the stock
ubuntu kernel has. More on that at the end, so I don't forget the other stuff.
Important point here: The ubuntu studio kernel version is not a good idea for
lucid!

2. The issue with root timeout on SCSI is known:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mountall/+bug/278176
It might be a kernel issue with specific SCSI hardware and the driver built as
module (I never had issues with this SCSI controller in the past, but I did use
kernels with the driver built-in, usually). Replacing the controller with a
single-channel one avoids the issue.

3. Audacity is still itchy when routing stuff to JACK via .asoundrc.
This is known... it'll crash unless one moves the .asoundrc away, selects
direct JACK output in audacity so that it does not try ALSA again.

4. The ubuntu studio plymouth theme is confusing... that outlined logo text
getting filled with bright color looks too much like a progress bar, which it
is not.
I wondered if the system is shutting down correctly, when the screen goes blank
just after filling about the first letter.

Now... back to serious stuff: The system is still not usable as it is, because
the graphics is broken. I can take the irritating flicker on bootup (stops a
while after the desktop came up) ... although the KMS hotness has supposed to
_reduce_ flicker. But what I cannot take: After some undetermined time of
usage, the video driver dies. Hard.
Screen goes black, does not even drop to a plain terminal. So Xorg not just
crashes, it looks like the driver/vidoe chip itself gets hung (oh, what dreaded
memories of my attempts to get stable video with a i945GMA laptop... only
worse!).
This is a Foxconn mainboard with X1200 (RS690) integrated graphics. I see that
fglrx as alternative driver is out of question since apparently, this Athlon64
X2 5000+ sytem is already too old to be bothered with.
I'll try if the nomodeset kernel parameter makes any difference... or ponder if
I really should try to go to the plain VESA driver (which would hurt the
dreaded youtube videos, I guess -- 3D effects aren't that important, but 2D
acceleration would be nice...).

As this is the exact same behaviour with the stock ubuntu kernel (not sure if
it happens with the studio kernel), I even made a report using apport about
this... selecting "Xorg freeze" or similar from the menu it pops up when
started manually... I wonder where that report ends up and how people are
supposed to contact me for feedback. At least it was sent to launchpad. *shrug*
Shall I try to report this again?

I am very wary about this... again, Xorg being a showstopper for fun on a
machine. I already have a year of history trying to get the i945GMA system to a
stable state without freezes every odd day ... without success. I just cannot
take that same route with the studio box, too. There aren't really any options
for other integrated graphics... so I'd need to go for a cheap PCIe card. But
is there something rock-stable that has proper 2D acceleration? With Xorg, I
fear not.
VESA may be last resort...

Alrighty then,

Thomas.