On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 14:02 +0100, Fernando Gomes wrote:
> Hi Ralf, thanks for your reply! I would try with a PS2 mouse, my doubt
> is because I'm also using a USB audio interface, so I think that the
> USB problem might affect also the audio interface (but as far as I
> remember it keeps working even when mouse starts to get slow, but I'm
> not sure). Also have some network timeouts from time to time...
> As you say, this is a problem of all the things work together (the
> motherboard, bios version and linux rt version must match), this is
> why I was looking for a MB with integrated graphics that was known for
> working with the current Linux RT kernel ... That way the only
> difference I will have is the audio interface (I'm using a Tascam 122
> usb sound module). Buying a third motherboard to see it doesn't work
> with ubuntu studio will be to much - specially to justify it to my
> wife :-)
> Im looking to ASUS because they have good motherboards and normally
> they have frequent bios updates (this should also be true for MSI, but
> unfortunatly not with the one I'm using). The BIOS of my current MSI
> boards misses many setup options and features.
>
> Fernando

Hahaha :D

I do understand your wife :). Hm, if you should have children, than you
could argue with 'Linux should become more popular, because it's FLOSS,
so knowledge is forwarded for free and to everybody'.
Of course a week argument, if the costs for the gym shoe needed by the
children for school vs a new mobo for you.

There are hardware black/white/grey lists, e.g.
http://www.64studio.com/node/69 ...

but again, I don't trust those lists, they are ok for on Linux distro's
version, but not ok in general.

On then 64 Studio users mailing list some people said that Linux + MSI
hardware should be the best combination, while e.g. some news on German
say that Linux is a PITA,
http://www.pro-linux.de/news/1/13293/rueckgabequote-bei-msi-linux-geraeten-hoeher.html
 for most consumers, e.g. when using MSI-Linux-Netbooks.
The valid argument of the consumers is, that they don't like to learn,
but they wish to have a tool working out of the box.

IMO 'out of the box' for realtime audio using Linux is utopistic. It's
possible if you've good luck, or if you are a bad musician, engineer
unable to notice the week points.
For some reasons we decided to use Linux for making music, so I guess we
need to offer much more time as we would like to offer regarding to
hardware issues etc..

I'm just a user. I guess if you describe your hardware and your issues
more detailed some coders would be able to help you efficient.

Perhaps you should subscribe to LAU,
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user/. Allegedly the
coders subscribed to the Linux audio developers mailing list, should
read and reply to mails at LAU too.

2 Cents, unfortunately not really a help :(,

Ralf