Hi :)

I wish to solve one issue for Ubuntu Studio after the other, unfortunately
there are several serious issues on my machine.
There's a common issue for Ubuntu Studio and Suse 11.2, while for 64
Studio 3.0 beta (based on Ubuntu Hardy) and 64 Studio 3.3 alpha (based on
Ubuntu Karmic) there isn't such an issue, that's why I guess it's caused
by PA. 64 Studio doesn't use PA.
For Ubuntu Studio and Suse 11.2 I only have sound when using JACK. Even
after JACK is killed, resp. never was started for a session, audio apps
not using JACK don't have an audio output. When using JACK, there's an
audio output for Ubuntu Studio and Suse 11.2 too.

I need to use some apps, that don't support JACK audio, without the need
to boot 64 Studio ;).

As a makeshift I tried to add JACK support for usage with the proprietary
flashplayer, to be able at least to hear sound on YouTube, because I
_urgently_ ;D need to listen to some Jojo Mayer and Mick Harris
recordings, music is a drug.

 From yesterday evening until today in the morning I did some grand piano
recordings, so I'm not really fit today and might tend to do mistakes.
Adding the JACK support failed [1].

1. How should sound be enabled usually for apps without JACK audio support
on Ubuntu Studio?

Could there be an issue regarding to PA not loading the needed modules?
I'm using two Envy24 based Terratec EWX 24/96 PCI sound cards on amd64
architecture, on-board sound is disabled.

2. Does anybody know how to add libflashsupport-jack? Compiling and
installing seems to be ok, I guess there's an issue regarding to set up
everything correctly.

Cheers!

Ralf

[1]
Ubuntu Studio

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install libasound2-dev libjack-dev libsamplerate0-dev
libssl-dev build-essential git-core autoconf automake libtool
$ git clone git://repo.or.cz/libflashsupport-jack.git
$ cd libflashsupport-jack
$ sh bootstrap.sh
$ make
$ sudo make install
$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libflashsupport.so /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.8/

$ cat /etc/ld.so.conf.d/libc.conf
# libc default configuration
/usr/local/lib

# Regarding to libflashsupport I added:
# If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
# in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
# specify the full pathname of the library
# [snip] add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf'

/usr/lib
/usr/lib/libflashsupport.so

$ sudo ldconfig

Suse 11.2

> su -c "zypper in libasound2-dev libjack-dev libsamplerate0-dev
> libssl-dev build-essential git-core autoconf automake libtool"
[libasound2-dev, libjack-dev, libsamplerate0-dev, libssl-dev,
build-essential aren't Suse packages, anyway I do have the needed packages
installed, because it's OT for this list, I won't check what they are
named]
> git clone git://repo.or.cz/libflashsupport-jack.git
> cd libflashsupport-jack
> sh bootstrap.sh
> make
> su -c "make install"
> su -c "ln -s /usr/lib/libflashsupport.so /usr/lib64/firefox/"
[for Suse there's just /firefox, but /firefox and /firefox-version]

> cat /etc/ld.so.conf.d/libc.conf
# Regarding to libflashsupport I added the file libc.conf