Am Fri, 07 Jan 2011 11:33:30 -0200
schrieb Tim Cook <timothywayne.c...@gmail.com>:

> Under a $100 USD - mine works great.
>
> http://www.alesis.com/io2express

I second that. I have the predecessor io|2, off ebay. 2 phantom mic/line
inputs, direct monitoring mix and balanced outputs. Does 24bit/48kHz and more
resolution would be pointless for the infrastructure where you'll put this one
into use. The symmetric outputs were important for me. Having a fully symmetric
path to your speakers -- with the possibility to ground-lift, when some part of
the system isn't properly grounded, as always -- is a plus.
Works with Alsa without a hitch, only some software might be confused that it
has to use S24_3LE format -- but JACK is fine with that.

The io|2 apparently isn't the best-quality device concerning S/N ratio, but it
totally does the job for me. When you got a 500 € microphone, you might want to
invest in 500 € recording gear (or 1000 €, when you're at it;-) ... but for
ambitioned home recording the io|2 is really fine.
Also, my guitarist didn't complain about latency when hooking up the guitar to
a software amp via the io|2 and JACK. Works.

There are other devices in the price range or a bit above, like Edirol UA-1EX;
but I do like having proper XLR and RTS connectors (balanced, even) and those
shiny knobs to operate;-)

Alrighty then,

Thomas.