Ancillary to Mike Holstein, IMO for audio it's important that the
graphics is passiv, no fan, no noise. Even for 3D animation any slow 3D
support is fast enough.

The power supply should have a large and slow fan.
Take care to buy silent HHDs.

I've got a question too. I'm searching for an audio device.

I've got two Terratec EWX 24/96 PCI cards and I don't like the muddy
sound. For sure, it might not only be the cards that produce this sound,
I guess it also has to do with issues for Linux audio, but OTOH those
issues might have to do with a less good driver, jackd or something else
for Envy24 cards, I dunno.

Perhaps the audio device should cost less than 1000,- EUR or better
less, than 500,- EUR. I would prefer 4 or more IOs, but just 2 IOs would
be ok too. The most important things to me are

- no issues with Linux
- a good sound quality, at least as good as good consumer hifi equipment
- very, very, low latency to fight jitter for MIDI recordings
- if possible 4 IOs or more, but 2 IOs are ok, if the sound and handling
  is ok