On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 9:42 PM, Scott Bohon <scott.bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Thank you all for help on -rt kernel.
>
> Now I need to get my USB Audio-MIDI Interface working - Tascam
> us-144mkII. I think that I need to disable ehci-hcd (USB 2.0). How do I
> do this? Can it be done per port? Doesn't this slow down my interface,
> and thus cause more latency? Is there hope for USB 2.0 support?
>
> Should I look for a different interface? Any suggestions for an
> affordable solution with USB 2.0 or PCI?

Hi Scott,

I do not have any practical experience with USB, therefore I cannot provide
any answers for your technical questions.  I can, however, offer some
generalized knowledge.

I do not believe that USB1 provides enough throughput for acceptable
latencies.  I believe that USB2 *can* provide decent latencies, but it seems
to be rather hit or miss per interface, computer, and OS.  I understand that
USB3 is designed to provide more throughput than firewire does currently,
although we don't know how strictly this standard will be implemented.

Ultimately, some people have had very good success achieving acceptable
latencies with a USB interface, others have not.

For a suggestion, I would recommend a PCI card personally.  I concede that
it is invasive, requiring you to open your computer, but I feel there is a
variety of stable, inexpensive PCI audio interfaces that have a history of
working well including the M-Audio Delta series.

I believe you can get an M-Audio Delta 44 for around $130 (used for $93)
that will provide four inputs and four outputs with a convenient break out
box.  I forget how long the cable is between the card and the box, something
like three feet or four feet.

Although you can probably find a firewire interface for slightly more money
that would avoid having to open your computer.  Others might offer firewire
suggestions for comparably priced interfaces that are working with Ubuntu.

Cheers,
ScottL