On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Kenneth Koym <koy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Scott:
> Sorry I don't agree with making awkward to understand release statements.
> "Official XFCE Announcement suggests to reader, the program exists already.
> Had Ubuntu Studio announced we *officially intend to build & release an
> XFCE UbuStudio in Sept 2011 *that would leave no one in the dark. Why go
> to Scott blog to review what the UbuStudio team intends? Stop the game
> playing!
>
> I contributed to last Saturday's 7 AM developer meeting @ 5:45 AM. There
> was no prelude to XFCE in the pre-meeting release.
>
> Can't review my XFCE Studio used and built about 3 years back. I put it
> aside. An not a developer; but I believe a few errors were reported to
> launchpad. I cannot say if any are a matter of record. I left XFCE for an OS
> meeting my in house needs.
>
> Wish the team good luck. At age 72 I don't have time for bewildering
> experiences. Must personally try to work my life plan. No, I think XFCE
> Studio stinks.  My comments are intended to suggest, major drawbacks to an
> xfce-based UbuStudio OS. Based on experience, I say that OS appears to be
> pie in the sky view. It appears to have little team support. This is from me
> a user, non-developer. No I can't explain, explain, explain as my plate is
> very, very full. Thanks. Good day.

hey kenneth, thanks for your comments. if you would clarify what you
find awkward about the release announcement, that would hopefully help us be
more clear in the future. the deal is, im sure ALL of us would like to keep
gnome2, and the current look and feel of studio (maybe tweaking a little and
freshening up). however, a change is forced upon us. we basically have 3
options...

1. wait and hope that some awesome team forks gnome2 and maintains it, and
keeps maintaining it in a way that fits our needs, AND get that fork to be
officially included in the ubuntu repositories.
2. maintain gnome2 ourselves.
3. switch DE's

we decided to go with #3. XFCE was really top of the list for us, since is
is so polished, and well maintained, and not drastically un-like gnome2 in
look, feel, functionality, and application support. puredyne is a very
successful XFCE based, live ubuntu respin for audio production. it a bit
out-dated (9.10 based) but you can get an idea of how things might be
running XFCE studio *without* needing to install (puredyne runs great live).
i for one would like to hear your experiences with XFCE and the ubuntustudio
packages, either via the puredyne live CD, or past experience. as a team, we
could really benefit from some constructive brainstorming on how to best
implement the UI change that is being forced upon us. thanks