On 26 May 2011 22:20, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mard...@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> Without editing it, the menu here would be unusable. The files that
> should be edited can't be used to set up a good grub.cfg.

I made a post about re-ordering things in grub2 a while ago [0]. The
code snippet might need a little tweaking to work with newer Ubuntus,
but maybe it will help anyway.

If the problems you have with your boot menu are caused by specific
scripts in /etc/grub.d you can disable them individually by removing
the executable bit.

If you want to add static parts to your menu you can put them in
/etc/grub.d/40_custom (if you want custom parts before the
autogenerated Ubuntu kernels you could copy 40_custom to 07_custom and
put your stuff in there, but then you'd lose automatically updating
entries for the default option).

[0] http://funkyhat.org/2010/01/19/putting-rt-kernels-first-in-grub2/

--
Matt Wheeler