Hi,

I use Echo Audiofire Pre 8 and worried about JACK's rondom XRUN. Fortunately I have a friend who is Linux-based system engineer and ask him this issue. Then he gave me two solutions.

1. see IRQ in /proc/interrupts
2. use HPET as system clock source

IRQ have a various meanings but in this case it means device input/output. you can see IRQ with the command 'cat /proc/interrupts'. Example below,

$ cat /proc/interrupts;
           CPU0       CPU1       CPU2       CPU3
  0:    6206090          0          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      timer
  1:          2          0          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
  8:          1          0          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      rtc0
  9:          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   acpi
 12:          4          0          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
16: 95779 0 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb3, pata_jmicron, nvidia
 17:          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ahci
18: 21 74 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb5, uhci_hcd:usb8, pata_jmicron, firewire_ohci 19: 0 0 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb7, ahci 21: 36 0 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb4 23: 26 0 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb2, uhci_hcd:usb6

Your firewire device is driven by firewire_ohci and you can see how many interrupts happen in the layer including firewire_ohci. In this example, you can see uhci_hcd:usb5 or uhci_hcd:usb8 in the same layer. If I connect my USB mouse or keyboard to uhci_hcd:usb5 or uhci_hcd:usb8, the interrupt from Firewire device happens every time I use USB devices. I guess this causes FFADO XRUNs.

So in this case you can change the port of USB devices looking /proc/interrupts and seek the port disrelated to firewire_ohci.

I seldom get FFADO's XRUN with HPET clock source but I have no idea of technical differences of TSC and HPET...You can change the clocksource in your kernel option.

Regards

Takashi Sakamoto
o-taka...@sakamocchi.jp