I personally start here:
http://pcper.com/leaderboard

Right now a midrange system built around the core i5 is a good start though
I would drop the sound card (caveat, I already have an RME) and I would go
with an ATI as opposed to the nVidia for better out of the box support.  I
only put an ATI in my system to support 3 monitors, otherwise the onboard
video should be good enough.

The upcoming Ivy Bridge should have even better on board graphics and
hopefully Intel does not miss the boat with drivers this time around.

Just my 2c