On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 13:33 -0500, Mike Holstein wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mard...@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>         Hi :)
>
>         I'll install a new Ubuntu Studio. I'm looking for a distro
>         that comes
>         with a good Wi-Fi support by default. It's said that Mint
>         should do so.
>
>         Are there any known issues with Mint 12 "Lisa" and Ubuntu
>         Studio 11.10
>         "Oneiric Ocelot" repositories?
>
>         I'm uncertain what architecture to use. My stable DAW is 10.10
>         i386, but
>         my all-day Linux are 64bit.
>
>         Any opinions are welcome.
>
>         Regards,
>         Ralf
>
>         OT: Does anybody use a Sempre WU300-K1 wireless lan 11N 300MB
>         USB
>         adaptor? It's a Realtek thingy.
>

> i wouldnt choose mint over ubuntu for wifi support.. we would have the
> same drivers/kernels... i have heard good reports about using mint
> with the ubuntustudio packages... mint12 didnt do it for me though. if
> you are chasing a "gnome2 experience", i found MATE fell short...
> otherwise, its another solid mint release with a great team with
> support on irc.spotchat.org ...enjoy!

I'm missing a mailing list for Mint, so I join a German forum. I
installed Mint Lisa - KDE 64-bit. KDE freeze after login and Xfce
doesn't show nm-applet. Changing the mouse cursor theme doesn't work.

Installation already was a PITA, since it forced me to install GRUB2. I
already used "GRUB legacy", fortunately it was easy to switch to "GRUB
legacy" for Mint, anyway it was unneeded work. Noveau was automatically
installed, a mega PITA.

OTOH the LED of the Wi-Fi USB stick is flashing, I didn't load a module
and I didn't installed firmware.

PolicyKit and ConsoleKit are not enough for Mint, they add AppArmor. IMO
it's like running three firewalls.

Until now I don't like Mint, btw. the mouse cursor theme even for Xfce
is annoying animated.

Haven't installed Ubuntu Studio meta packages until now. Perhaps I
should test what happens, when Ubuntu Studio themes are installed. Does
11.10 already include Xfce?

On Debian testing I had GNOME3 and Xfce4 installed and at the moment I'm
running Xfce4 only on Arch. There were and are not such issues as there
are for Mint.

Regards,
Ralf