On 10/23/2012 11:07 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
IIRC release updates can be disabled, e.g. by Synaptic. I'm not booted
to Ubunutu at the moment.

I found the problem: Within update-manager, on the "Updates" tab, the "Notify me of a new update verison" field was set to "For long-term support versions", which must be the default since I certainly never changed it. In fact it took me several minutes to find and identify it.

Changing that to "For any new version" solved the problem. I now receive notice of a pending upgrade to v12.10. This fact should probably be made public, and more widely than just this mention on the list. It might save someone further down the line some amount of grief.

Tom.