It happened to me last night. I had made a change in partitions structure to allow using many distros with one partition for each home directory and it causes a permission problem when i created new partitions as root. The ownner of my home was root.

My solution was:

login in terminal with

ctr +alt + F2
fredd
password

change the owner of user directory with

sudo   chown -R  fredd.fredd   /home/fredd

My only doubt is if some app or process that use that directory needs to be owner of its config files... Here, everything worked out after that... But, if its your case, you can try first a not recursive command

sudo   chown  fredd.fredd   /home/fredd

Regards,

Fredd Oliveiras
(Linux apprentice)

Your message

"Hi folks. I'm running Gnome 3.6 usually, and for some reason instead
of logging in automatically, I get the login prompt, and it's not
accepting my password, so I can only login as guest. What I don't
understand, and it's driving me crazy, is that if I go CTRL ALT F2, I
can login with no problem at all, so I've not changed my password or
anything. Any help appreciated; thanking you in advance."