Hi!
Good choice! And welcome to the list! :)
It is populated by far more experienced users than me, but here are my
few cents:

No "skipping" problem on my 64bit Ubustu 12.04 I run it on an i3, the
intel graphics and 4Gb ram. So far my audio production is working like a
delicious dream. I chose to stick with the LTS mainly because i'm lazy,
and i own only one station. (even if the live-version of 12.10 seemed to
work fine: at least i didn't notice any skipping... could probably have
tried harder)

XFCE looks good and works very well, i haven't tried to change the
interface because i haven't found any reason to invest the energy. But
let us know how it goes if you do!

Hope you will find what your are looking for!

Have a good week all!

*Set