There's a way of exporting (not saving) GIMP files to CMYK, it's a plug
in called separate+. Also, Krita manages CMYK in a very professional
fashion, I've printed flyers that were color managed in krita and the
result was flawless.

Truth being said, Adobe's CMYK color profile is an industry standard, as
the Post Script technology was developed by Adobe. I would think that
using Pantone (also a closed, proprietary standard, therefore not
available in GIMP or Krita) is a bigger issue than CMYK. Anyway,
professional offset printing of files made with FLOSS is possible,
cumbersome if compared with Adobe's way of color managing, but possible
under professional standards none the less.

If you weight in the evil in Adobe and the allegedly 'less intuitive'
GUIs of FLOSS software, I think that FLOSS is definitely the wisest choice.