Hi, I have an Audio Science soundcard (ASI4215) which seems to be unsupported on the current release of Ubuntu Studio.

I have downloaded the latest driver from ASI's website which supports my card (hpklinux-3.08.06) and tried the usual ./configure, make, make install. However after satisfying dependencies I am getting the following error as part of the configure stage. From what I can read, I need to have a specific option enabled (firmware_class) in the kernel. I believe I will need to recompile the kernel to enable this option.

I think I have downloaded the source, headers etc. so I should be able to do make menuconfig and then see all the options.

checking for kernel version... 0.0.0
checking for GCC version... Kernel compiler: Used compiler: gcc (Ubuntu 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04.3) 4.8.4

*** NO PREDEFINED KERNEL COMPILER IS DETECTED
*** Assuming the same compiler is used with the current system compiler.

*** Please make sure that the same compiler version was used for building kernel.

checking for kernel module symbol versions... "no"
checking for SMP... "no"
checking for hotplug firmware loader... "no"
checking for hotplug firmware loader module... "no"
Fatal error: kernel firmware_class module required
root@playback:~/asi4215/hpklinux-3.08.06#
root@playback:~/asi4215/hpklinux-3.08.06#
root@playback:~/asi4215/hpklinux-3.08.06# cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=14.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=trusty
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS"
root@playback:~/asi4215/hpklinux-3.08.06#

Given that the UStudio kernel is compiled for low latency, I'm a bit reluctant to recompile unless it is really necessary.

Has anyone else had any experience with this card? Is this the rigth approach and if so, what options should I ensure remain enabled for low latency?

Regards,
Andrew.

--
Windows, for life without walls.