I seem to have solved this problem.

In the Settings dialogue of qjackctl I changed MIDI driver from "raw"
to "seq", and now I can connect the keyboard to tractor etc.  It seems
to work, although I have not done very much with it yet.

I confess I hadn't tried messing about with this setting before,
because I don't remember ever having altered it, yet the keyboard used
to work OK with the computer.  But logically, I suppose it must have
been changed at some point.

Anyway, thanks for all the help you have given.  And I'm sorry to have
made an issue out of something that was, apparently, so simple to fix.

David