On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 15:16:19 +0200, Fred wrote:
>> does anyone know if any actual music albums have been engineered,
>> edited, mastered and produced using ubuntu studio? and if so, what's
>> the bands' names and albums?
>>
>> i still want to record and produce with ubuntu studio but i want to
>> use a desktop pic for it and not my laptop so i can have heavy duty
>> hardware for it.
>
>You can do really good job using Mixbus4 or Ardour combined with a good
>audio interface (Rme for ex.)

Hi,

in regards to software it depends what requirements somebody has got.
There's a lot that Linux doesn't provide.

I agree that for audio recording Ardour is a good choice. However,
until now no good free open source MIDI sequencer exists for Linux. I
don't know if a proprietary Linux sequencer is comparable to sequencers
for other platforms. There is new proprietary software
available, Tracktion and Bitwig, as well as older proprietary software
energyXT and perhaps Reaper, but I don't know how good or bad this
software is. If you don't need a professional MIDI sequencer, Qtractor
could be usable, as well as Ardour. Qtractor might be easier to use
for MIDI, but Qtractor can't be used for professional audio, so you
better get used to Ardour MIDI, even while it's a PITA.

In regards to effects and virtual instruments it depends on what you
need. There's a good parametric EQ available from Robin Gareus based on
an EQ from Fons Adriaensen. There's a very limited, but within this
limit very good reverb available, GxZita Rev1, based on a reverb from
Fons Adriaensen. There are a few other usable effects as well and a few
usable synth, such as Yoshimi. However, compared to proprietary virtual
instruments and effects for other operating systems, there isn't much
choice, if any choice at all, when using free open source Linux
software.

I'm still using real instruments, synth, guitars and real 19" effects
or stomp boxes and if I need virtual instruments or effects, I'm using
my Linux PC connected to an iPad. IMO and also by my experiences as a
professional audio and video engineer, Linux audio isn't in the same
street as proprietary software available for other operating systems.

In regards to hardware. I've got a RME HDSPe AIO it works, but within
limits. Some of the limits are:

- just 2 of 8 ADAT channels are available
- it cannot be use for Ardour without jackd
- the hardware mixer GUI for Linux is outdated
- performance in regards to lowlatency doesn't work as good as for
  other operating systems

I've got a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, this USB audio interface provides
full working ADAT and lower latency than the RME card, so it doesn't
matter that the analog domain of this audio interface can't compare to
RME, since it only matters how good the connected ADAT gear is. Anyway,
USB devices work only class compliant, so the hardware mixers aren't
available. IOW for zero latency monitoring you still need an analog
mixing console.

To cut a long story short, personally I don't know anybody using Linux
for professional music productions, some subscribed to
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user are doing this,
not necessarily using Ubuntu Studio.

If Linux fulfils your needs, depends much on what you want to do, resp.
what you expect that Linux audio provides.

Regards,
Ralf