My installation is on Xubuntu 18.04, with ubuntustudio packages installed using Synaptic.

I'm setting up my laptop to record the audio of a presentation. I have had intermittent issues with Audacity. Sometimes when I click on Record, it starts and stops within a second. Other times it works as expected.

I'm also trying Ardour. Unfortunately, I can't see all of the Ardour window. How can I view the entire window?

Trying to duplicate the problem so I can better describe it I tried to start up Ardour. When I try to open a session, the Audio/MIDI Setup window opens. But when I click on Start, I get an error: Failed to open audio device. Another dialog box says, "Loading Error. Could not create session in (path to session). Cannot connect to audio/midi engine."

Are there other recording programs I should consider? As long as the program will save something Audacity can edit, I can live with that.

Thanks for any advice.
--
Regards,

Dick Steffens