I doubt this will help, but I can demonstrate that the control does open and appear to work on my system.

I'm running Ubuntu Studio 19.10 but am running the generic kernel since (my guess) the low latency kernel causes problems for my 3ware 9750-4 SATA RAID card.  Symptom is very slow disk performance.

Hardware is probably very different from yours, also; a Supermicro dual quad core 55xx Xeon system with sound through a M-Audio Delta 66 card.

Installation was standard, except that I loaded the generic kernel (5.3.13-050313-generic) to solve my disk I/O problem.

My only problem is that the "Envy24 Control" utility used to manage the sound card does not store the profile as earlier version did.

I can start and manipulate the Ubuntu Studio Controls window (didn't try changing any parameter, effect would be unknown).

I did get a lot of messages when executing the control from a terminal session; of the following format repeated many times:

Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock