Sorry, had to dogsit for a bit.
env is in usr/bin, don't know how I missed it before.
There are a few pythons in usr/bin (2 (link to py2.7), 2.7 (shared lib), 3
(link to py3.8), 3.8 (exe), and a few more py 3) but none in alternatives.
Setting usr/bin/python to point to /etc/alternatives/python won't work if
it's not there.

Do I have to set the python path environment variable? I'm only guessing
but is 'env' a list of environment variables? All I know is that it's a
library.