P.S. Personally, I'd recommend using KDE (Kubuntu) and then installing the Ubuntu Studio environmont package on that.

---
All best wishes,
Dave

On 2020-06-18 11:45, András wrote:
Hi,

I am a Mac user for a few decades now and I am looking for ways to
escape from that system. On a friend’s recommendation I am now
investigating Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS.

I am a complete beginner in Ubuntu, so my idea is to set up an Ubuntu
system on a separate media but for now continue to use Apple’s High
Sierra (OS 10.13.6) the last compatible OS with my Mac Mini Mid 2011.

I have found an article on the web about installing dual systems on
the Mac which I tried to follow. The media which I chose for keeping
the Ubuntu system is a WD 2 TB external HD USB. For starting I used a
32 GB USB Stick.
To get the downloaded iso file onto the Stick I had to burn it with
BalenaEtcher. It then started up fine form the Stick. When I had a
choice to install Ubuntu permanently I chose the 2 TB HD and finished
the installation there. After playing around and discovering the way
Ubuntu works I switched back to Mac OS.

When I wanted to start Ubuntu again the next day from the 2 TB HD, it
wouldn’t go beyond an initial black screen with text, awaiting some
command. I never got as far as the Ubuntu logo.

What am I doing wrong or not doing that impedes the start up of the
installed system from the HD?

I’d very much appreciate your help. After the initial joy about the
new system it’s now total frustration. By the way, I am not a
programmer or computer geek, as you may have noticed, so I’d
appreciate some idiot-proof advice. Thanks!

Regards

Andy