Hi Erich,

I apologise for top posting, but I wanted to ask a quick related
question. Maybe I missed it, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned is
the upgrade path.

It is clear to me that if you stay with 20.04 for the supported 3 years,
you will keep whatever desktop you have (e.g. XFCE which is default for
Ubuntu Studio).

It is also clear that if you do a fresh install of Ubuntu Studio 20.10
you will get Plasma.

But what happens if you upgrade Ubuntu Studio from 20.04 to 20.10 (or
from 20.04 to the next LTS release 22.04)? The announcement mentioned
likely breakage? Personally, I would prefer that either I kept the same
desktop, or I was smoothly migrated over to Plasma.

I have always wondered what all the fuss is about with the "desktop
debate". I use Ubuntu Studio on two machines. One is standard Ubuntu
Studio (XFCE), and the other is standard Ubuntu with Ubuntu Studio
installed on top with the installer (Gnome).

The most important thing for me is being able to find the applications,
and then learning the tricks to arranging the open windows the way I
want them. It has never taken me long to work out a new desktop (but I
am a very basic user).

Maybe we should publish a guide to help people migrate from XFCE to
Plasma? What are the tips and tricks to carry on recording in the new
environment without embarrassing yourself in a professional scenario?

Cheers,

Ross