From: "Ram Kumar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "KESAVAN CHITTIBABU" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [உபுண்டு தமிழகம்] modem instalation reg.
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 21:20:48 +0530

Kesavan,

you have attached a file "translate_c.htm" is the translated version of
English from Spanish.

as I suggested previously, avoid USB stuff and try for PCI based LAN card.
if I get the details of your mother board it will be helpful to me.

if you connect any usb modem first remove it, connect the Ethernet cable to
lan port. it will take one minute to detect the connection. now check with
the command ifconfig in console. it has to show the ip address of the card.
if it doesn't, type ' lspci ', this will list all the pci based peripherals. in this list check for "Ethernet controller". if it is not showing any thing about your eth card, you can say your hardware or the driver of the eth card
is not proper.

most probably Linux will detect and install the driver automatically (for
most of the eth cards). in case if it has not happened try to search in net
for the particular driver for your hardware (for the version 2.6.x)

if it got detect properly, you need to set the ip address using sudo
ifconfig eth0 <eth address> up. if you have only one eth card use eth0,
otherwise you need to use ethX. X - in which card you connected the eth
cable. (eth0 means the first card)

Note: unless you bring up the internet in your pc, you cant do anything with
ubuntu. but this is not a complicated process, definitely you can do. in
case if every thing failed, i am suggesting you to buy a D-Link Ethernet
card 520TX for cheapest rate and it will work very fine. check the link for
the card.
http://computerwarehousepricelist.com/productlist.asp?curpage=2&ctg=36

the same case happened to me, usb gave plenty of troubles and my local eth
card didn't detect by ubuntu. finally i used this card and i can able to
move now. ubuntu is very good for beginners and for developers, so try to
make it up; you will get good benefit.

in case if you are in Bangalore inform me, we will communicate on week ends.

it sounds that you are not a beginner in Linux. Am i right??

regards,
ramkumar k.a.