It looks like it has to do with preediting and how it handles the
cursor. When you start typing in preedit and then press the left arrow;
the ibus pop up window disappears along with the text.

When this happens and "IMTextEntry::UpdateCursorLocation()" gets called
from "IMTextEntry::OnPreeditChanged" It is setting 1049949 on the y axis
as opposed to 18, where it usually hovers on my machine.  It then sets
"gtk_im_context_set_cursor_location" with that y axis and this moves the
popup off screen where it thinks the cursor's location is.  Normally it
does this when it thinks you have deleted all the preedit.

It is getting the info from "GetCursorRects" so there must be something
getting set incorrectly. It seems like the cursor is not getting set
correctly or the text location it self.

If you change the y to always be constant (in my case 18) when you set
the cursor location the ibus window doesn't disappear/move but the text
still does. (ie. screenshot - "constant_y")

There seems to be a reason it is getting that ridiculously number for y
when it shouldn't.  I'll have more time tomorrow to look for that
reason.

Also oddly when you just type normally (ie. "abcd") and move the cursor
with the arrow keys the SearchBar it self starts acting funny. (ie.
screenshot - "normal_text_cursor")

** Attachment added: "constant_y.png"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/867885/+attachment/2516153/+files/constant_y.png

Translations Coordinators, which is subscribed to Ubuntu Translations.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/867885

Title:
  ibus character selection window not drawn

Status in Ubuntu Translations:
  Triaged
Status in Unity:
  Triaged
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  (copied from
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/663776/comments/85
  )

  The iBus integration is still an issue.

  Test environment:
  Unity: 4.20.0-0ubuntu2
  iBus: 1.3.99.20110419-1ubuntu3
  ibus-pinyin: 1.3.99.20110706-1

  Test steps:
  1. Click dash icon
  2. CTL-space to switch to pinyin IM
  3. Type "zhong" in search menu

  Expected to see a character selection window, but the selection window
  disappeared.

  4. continue to test. press"back space", the character selection window
  appeared. press "back space" one more time, the character selection
  window disappeared again.