Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: webapps-applications (Ubuntu)

Translations Coordinators, which is subscribed to Ubuntu Translations.

Title:
  Gmail webapp needs internationalization

Status in Ubuntu Translations:
  Triaged
Status in WebApps: Initial set of Apps:
  New
Status in “unity-webapps-gmail” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “webapps-applications” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  The current webapp for Gmail adds entries in the Launcher and
  Messaging Indicator to compose new messages and to display the Inbox
  count.

  These entries are in English and need to be localizable.

  This means:

  1. Marking the strings for translation in the script (it seems they already
are)
  2. Initialize gettext in the code, using the correct translation domain
  3. Getting the build system to extract those strings and put them on a
gettext translation template (.pot) file using dh_translations
  4. Add 'X-Ubuntu-Use-Langpack: yes' to debian/control's source record
  5. Get the translations loaded on the desktop at runtime.

  1 to 4 are I believe fairly trivial (although I haven't looked in
  detail at the code and the packaging). For 5. someone on the Desktop
  or Webapps team will probably have to look at how to do this, since
  I'm not very familiar with how the plumbing works in terms of
  integration between desktop and webapp JS scripts.