Hello translators,

I would like to ask for your feedback on something.

As you are probably aware, when we open a new Ubuntu release for
translation, we start out with a copy of all the translations in the
preceding release.  The preceding release remains the preferred
translation target for some time, so it continues to improve after the
new release is opened.

In the future we would like to copy these improvements automatically: if
a translation is updated in the older release but not in the newer
release, the update will also happen in the newer release.  The
advantages should be obvious.

There is one small risk: in principle it's possible that you want to
translate the exact same string, in the same package, differently in two
subsequent Ubuntu releases.  If that happens, and later someone comes
and updates the translation in the older release, you will automatically
get the new translation in the new release as well.

Would that be a problem to you?  Is the risk real, or imagined?  How
does it compare to the benefits?

Jeroen