On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Matthew East <m...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
[snip]
> The most effective and long-lasting way to fix these errors is if
> corrected po files get uploaded directly to Launchpad. That way we get
> the fixes for the next release too.
[snip]

As far as I understand, it is not entirely true.

IIRC, fixes of Intrepid documentation were done way before Jaunty was
open for translations. Despite that, strings that were fixed for
Intrepid required another intervention in Jaunty.

Next point: unless there is a possibility of some sort of moderation
(or lock or whatever) for particular pieces of translations in Rosetta
(lets say, for documentation) it will be possible for translators to
easily break translations of documentation.

Such "a lock" may be also useful on a string level, so that if there
is an active upstream, only strings that are unique or modified with
respect to upstream (I mean original non-translated strings here) in
*buntu are available to translators.

And again, about checks. Isn't it possible to implement sort of
simplistic checks for translated documentation strings? Yep, I
remember about some implementation of validation in gettext or
something like that for XML-validation or something similar (I am not
an expert), but still don't understand why it is not possible to
prevent at least screwing up the XML tags? You do not need to validate
a complete final XML document for that, especially taking into account
that original documentation strings are coming to Rosetta from
verified and validated sources, so that checking algorithm may look
like:
1. Take original string, dump everything that is not tag
2. Take translated string, dump everything that is not tag
3. Compare results of 1. and 2. If they are not the same =>
translation messes up tags.

Am I missing something here?

Regards,
  Alexey