2009/6/11 Cá Vàng <clari...@gmail.com>:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I am Phuong Vo, a member of the MoST project, a project that are sponsored
> by the Vietnamese government to create a high quality translation of Ubuntu
> and several other FOSS.(*)
>
> Our goal is to translating every thing included in a default Ubuntu
> installtion
> (GUI, help etc...), but we are having problem determine which templates need
> to be translated. Just searching the templates name according to the programs
> name isn't enough, there are still strings we don't know where to find. Well,
> think given enough time, we can do it, but since we are aiming to 9.10, not
> much time is left.
>
> So if you can, please help us making a list of templates that need to be
> trans-
> -lated in order to make a fully localised version of Ubuntu. It would
> be great if
> you can send us a list like that, but if you don't have the time, then
> you could
> just tell us how to do so.
>
> Thank in advance!
>
> Regards,
> Phuong

Hi Phuong,

This MoST project sounds good! Thanks for your interest in making Ubuntu better.

I'm not sure if you've already started translating--and if you have
then by what process--but in case you didn't know, Ubuntu-specific
translations are centrally hosted on Launchpad
(https://launchpad.net/). There is a whole area of Launchpad dedicated
to translation work and many subdivisions of that for the various
localizations and releases of Ubuntu. For example, here are the
Vietnamese translation templates for Ubuntu 9.04:
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/+lang/vi. Notice that
the page provides statistics regarding the number of strings that are
still untranslated or need review, etc. for each template, hopefully
providing the information you requested (i.e. "list of templates that
need to be translated in order to make a fully localised version of
Ubuntu").

You mentioned that you'd like to focus on Ubuntu 9.10; unfortunately,
those translation templates aren't available yet
(https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic). However, the way
Launchpad is designed, at least the majority of translations you make
to the 9.04 templates _should_ automatically carry over to 9.10 once
it opens up for translation. That means you can start working on 9.04
as soon as early as now without worrying that your time is being
wasted, even if you only care about having a localized 9.10 and won't
be using 9.04 at all.

I hope I've answered your questions here. Please write back if you
need additional information.

Regards,
Evan R. Murphy