Hi Milo,

El dt 20 de 04 de 2010 a les 11:31 +0200, en/na Milo Casagrande va
escriure:
> Hi,
>
> we noticed only recently that the version of gtanslator that will be
> shipped with Ubuntu 10.04 is 1.9.6 (released on September 2009).
>
> This version has a serious issue that makes it literally unusable (see
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/454940): gtranslator 1.9.6 tends to crash
> too often due to misreading of PO headers. So, basically, it's
> unusable.
>
> This is the situation we have right now:
>   * Debian has the 1.9.9 release of gtranslator -> good
>   * Luca Falavigna (DktrKrantz) can build the Ubuntu package -> good
>   * We need an exception -> bad
>
> Yes, unfortunately there are too many changes between .6 and .9
> release, bugfixing but also feature additions and misc stuff. Please
> note that gtranslator 1.9.x is a development version, so the usage of
> latest available package is the best to do.
>
> Why I'm writing this here? Because we are looking for somebody that
> could "grant" an exception for this package, and probably if we have a
> big number of translators that would favor this, we can move things
> forward.
>
> Do you know anybody that can "grant" us that exception?

As per:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FreezeExceptionProcess#Exceptions%20for%20Universe/Multiverse

perhaps what I'd recommend is to file a bug describing the issue and
justifying the need for the fix, and then finding a MOTU to vouch for
it. Translators could also add their comments there.

In order to find a MOTU, the best thing might be just to go on
#ubuntu-motu and ask around.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
David.