On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 12:18:05AM +0800, Arne Goetje wrote:
> On 08/02/2010 12:03 AM, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> >>
> >> In general, you should translate any template where translations are
> >> still missing, no matter if they come from upstream or they are native
> >> to Ubuntu.
> >
> > I think this is a very bad advice actually, we are not helping better
> > localisation by wasting time doing downstream translations that are very
> > unlikely to be used upstream. We should instead encourage Ubuntu
>
> If those strings show up in the GUI, they will be visible to the Ubuntu
> users and hence should be translated. Even if upstream has abandoned
> them already or they are native to Ubuntu, users still see them.

I never said otherwise, I'm just against the idea of translating them
silently in Ubuntu, I instead suggest communicating with upstream
translators beforehand to avoid any possiple duplication of effort.

> > translators to communicate with upstream projects to reach a common
> > background. For example, though packages in Ubuntu might be slightly
> > older than current upstream releases, usually the differences are
> > minimal that it is very easy to translate the latest version upstream
> > then "backport" it to the version in Ubuntu and then fix any
> > differences. This means with next upstream sync, the difference will be
> > zero to very minimal. Most translation teams are underpowered unpaid
>
> Yep, I also wrote this.
>
> > volunteers, we need to manage those limited resources for the greater
> > benefit, not wasting time redoing translations and re-reviewing
> > translations.
>
> Of course, if upstream has already translations which are still missing
> in Launchpad, they should just get downloaded and imported into
> Launchpad manually. But if upstream doesn't have translations ready yet
> and we are close to release, it would be better if those strings get
> translated in Launchpad anyway and submitted to upstream for inclusion
> into the next packaged version.

I can't agree more, but your original advise wasn't suggesting this, not
the way I read it at at least. I just want to stress on communicating
and cooperating with upstream right from the start, not as an after
thought.

Putting my upstream hat, I hate downstream translators "fixing" non-bugs
in my translation because they didn't even try to communicate with me.
With my downstream hat on, I hate spending my already limited time doing
translation that will be trashed within few months because some one else
already translated it upstream.

Regards,
 Khaled

--