Hi David and Andrej

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 7:30 PM, David Planella
<david.plane...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi Andrej,
>
> El dj 19 de 08 de 2010 a les 09:27 +0200, en/na Andrej Žnidaršič va
> escriure:
>> Hello !
>>
>> In slovenian team we get about 80% of 3rd party bug reports (from
>> people who are not member of any translation team) in the period of 2
>> weeks, between the release of RC and 1 week after final release. This
>> is the time when most users upgrade and hence also report bugs.
>> A bit more conservative users wait a week or two before upgrade.
>> In 10.04 we got a lot bug reports (there were a lot of mistakes in one
>> of the packages, due to one translator's unseriousness), and we
>> quickly fixed them, but language packs weren't generated for 3 months
>> - until the release of 10.4.1 so:
>>

>> a) The people who reported bugs were frustrated, as nothing has
>> changed (they couldn't see any changes)
>> b) People who installed ubuntu later were still exposed to these
>> mistakes.
>>

>> Hence i propose that there is a language pack update 1-2 weeks after
>> the final release. Is that possible?
>>

> This is a good point, and I think it would be possible. In this regard,
> we've been talking about a schedule for translation updates several
> times at UDSs, but so far no initiative has taken traction, mostly for
> lack of time and other priorities getting in the way.
>
> This is something we definitely need to sort out, and I'd finally like
> to make it a policy, so I'd very much welcome any feedback on this
> thread.
>
> Things to consider for a schedule:
>
> * How many releases' translations we want to update?
> * How often do we want to update each release (current stable, old,
> LTSs)?
> * How many teams would be testing the updates?
> * Where could we host a public calendar for the updates?
>
> We could also discuss this on a meeting. We haven't been running any on
> this cycle yet, so I'm thinking of scheduling one for next week or the
> one after.
>
> I'd be happy to hear everoyne's proposals.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> David.

We had the same issue as Andrej - after the release, multiple errors
were spotted in a short amount of time, a few of which were really
annoying.  A language pack upgrade after 2-3 weeks would be ideal, and
I also think that 'automatic' (from our point of view :)) upgrades
every so often (1-2 months) would be a good thing if possible.

Is there any particular reason not to provide lots of updates to
language packs? (Can things easily go wrong?)

Regards
Ask