On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 1:41 PM, Fòram na Gàidhlig
<f...@foramnagaidhlig.net> wrote:
> You should translate this as:
>
> 'Σήμερα', hh:mm
>
> Do not localize the quotes themselves, since they are a programming thing.
>
> 'Σήμερα', hh:mm will then be displayed to the user as:
>
> Σήμερα, 08:15
>
> for example.

Thanks for the clarification. I had it wrong and I just fixed the translation.

The text at http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qml-qtqml-date.html#details
has a paragraph about

«All other input characters will be ignored. Any sequence of
characters that are enclosed in singlequotes will be treated as text
and not be used as an expression. Two consecutive singlequotes ("''")
are replaced by a singlequote in the output.»

which explains the issue from a programmer's point of view. That is,
the singlequotes are required so that Qt does not ignore the text
'Today'.

The translation comment could be made a bit better if we change

"TRANSLATORS: this is a datetime formatting string, and the
singlequote is an escape character.
See http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qml-qtqml-date.html#details for
valid expressions."

to something like

"TRANSLATORS: this is a datetime formatting string, and the
singlequote is an escape character. Translate what is inside the singlequotes
but please keep those exact singlequotes in the translated message.
See http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qml-qtqml-date.html#details for
valid expressions."

Simos