On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 11:47 AM, Gunnar Hjalmarsson
<gunna...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 2018-04-10 10:09, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
>>
>> When I try to perform a package update after installation, I get this
>> error:
>>
>> myusername@virtualbox:~$ sudo apt update
>> Σφάλμα:1 http://gr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic InRelease
>>    403  Forbidden [IP: 83.235.64.44 80]
>> Σφάλμα:2 http://gr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates InRelease
>>    403  Forbidden [IP: 83.235.64.44 80]
>> Σφάλμα:3 http://gr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports InRelease
>>    403  Forbidden [IP: 83.235.64.44 80]
>> Hit:4 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security InRelease
>>
>> What happened, is that the default http repository URL for Greece (and
>> possibly Cyprus) has the "/ubuntu" path appended to it, while it is
>> not needed.
>> That is, Ubuntu tries to connect to
>> http://gr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu while it should just have used
>> http://gr.archive.ubuntu.com/ (without /ubuntu/) instead.
>>
>> The correct settings are (Greece, default repository settings):
>>
>> HTTP: http://ubuntu.otenet.gr/              <- without /ubuntu/
>> FTP:   ftp://ftp.otenet.gr/ubuntu/
>>
>> The question is, how/where do we make this fix?
>

> Open Software & Updates and change to some other server there.
> gr.archive.ubuntu.com isn't even an option there, so it may be new. Either a
> bug in the installer, or the new mirror has not been set up correctly.
>
> (Please note that this is off topic on the ubuntu-translators mailing list.)

I looked deeper into this and thankfully it sorted itself out.

It is an issue that each LoCo team should deal with, so it would be
more appropriate
to the loco mailing list. It is under the umbrella though of the
general L10n work for Ubuntu.
Each Ubuntu installation in a country ("CC") has a default
CC.archive.ubuntu.com mirror.
If you did not set up that mirror to an appropriate mirror in your
country, then you are using
the default in the UK, which might be slower for your users.
The existing archive mirrors are at https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors
and a LoCo coordinator would need to follow
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Mirrors to arrange for the best local mirror.

In our case, the http://ubuntu.otenet.gr/ (real URL) archive mirror
erased momentarily the /ubuntu directory.
Their setup looks to be a bit weird because the "/ubuntu" directory
appears to be a link to "/".
The solution to this is to contact the mirror admin as there is no
urgency anymore.

Simos