On 18/09/06, ac <"aec$news"@candt.waitrose.com> wrote:
>ana wrote:
>> hi
>>
>> Caroline Ford wrote:
>>> (College has horribly locked down XP boxes and a fairly fascist web
>>> filter..)
>>>

>> Yes. It is not the teachers's fault. We had a college IT teacher in the
>> hacklab once, he explained that even if he wants to teach some free
>> software he can't, they are locked in a contract with microsoft by which
>> they can not install any other software on the machines.
>
>Nice and clear. May be a useful focus in appropriate circumstances
>

>> He still offered live CDs and even used one of them to show them.
>
>Good opportunity for a local LUG to help out in closer contact with th
>edepartment students, avoiding formal contact with staff fo diplomatic
>reasons maybe.
>--

College does teach a *nix course - it's a Cisco one (Fundamentals of Unix) which is Solaris and a linux distro (not sure which one).

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/course_catalog/Unix.html

I'm tempted to do a linux course after my CCNA but I'm not sure the Cisco one is the best out there.

There is some free software on the departmental server - ethereal (for windows) and some others. The teaching staff are generally fine - I suspect software decisions are made at a higher level than the IT department.

Caroline