On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 12:47 +0000, Norman Silverstone wrote:
> > Are you confusing free as in beer with free as in freedom? FOSS does not
> > have to be free as in beer!
>
> I find this very confusing. If I buy an application to run in Ubuntu
> what sort of freedom is represented?
>
> Norman

Free (as in software) means freedom, not money. This is why some people
(myself included) prefer the terms Open Source or Software Libre. I
think in English when people hear the term free they always think of
money first.

If you buy an application for Ubuntu it would depend upon the licensing
of the software. Generally commercial software is closed source (ie non
free) unless you are paying for a support contract like Red Hat.

If you don't have the source then the program isn't free - the Ubuntu
operating system remains free of course and the source can be downloaded
easily.

Caroline