On 06/12/06, Colin Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It was my original intention to have an old 98se machine dual partitioned so
> that I can have ubuntu LTS 6.06 as a server, on this server I wanted to
> upload files from a winxp machine.  Partitioning the old machine was fine,
> downloading the iso image was also fine.  The initial install went through
> o.k. but no ethernet was detected [the actual ethernet device itself].
>
> Also DHCP failed.  After DHCP failed I was given an option where I could
> assign/choose the network addresses myself.  I did this but it was redundant
> as the ethernet test failed.  Thus when I tried to ping the ubuntu machine
> either under the hostname or the ip address both attempts failed.
>

> No  DHCP Server/computer was detected on the network [This
> is true because I don't have another machine acting as a DHCP server].

It sounds like you need the Ubuntu server to be a DHCP server as well.
This is fine, but you won't be able to assign it an address using DHCP
(since there's no other DHCP server).

So you want to set up a manual address while installing and not choose
the automatic/DHCP/whatever it's called in the installer.

> I could not ascertain if ethernet worked with windows because the network
> neighbourhood needed a hot fix in order function.

You don't need to use Network Neighbourhood to check it - open a DOS
prompt in Win98 and use the ping command (it has similar command-line
parameters to the Linux version, but the main difference is that it
only sends 4 pings rather than Linux carrying on forever by default.
You can change the number sent in both cases). This is the best way to
check the network. Start with IP addresses, then move to hostnames.

I don't think hostnames will work initially, unless they're set up in
/etc/hosts on Linux or <windir>\system32\drivers\etc\hosts on Windows
XP/2000 (replace <windir> with your Windows directory path, usually
C:\windows or C:\winnt). I can't remember exactly where the relevant
file is on Win98, but it won't matter much. The best way to solve the
problem (but not the easiest) is to set up a DNS server on the Ubuntu
machine. Hmm, it depends on how much you are going to change your
network actually. If it's not going to change much, use the hosts
files I mentioned above. Much easier than setting up DNS.

If the ethernet works in Win98, try looking through the output from
the dmesg command on Ubuntu to see if it mentions problems with the
ethernet device. You'll probably need to type the following in a
terminal window:
dmesg | less
If you can't understand what it says and it shows an error, post the
error in a mail to this list and we'll try to help some more.

Hwyl,
Neil.