On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 06:53:11PM +0000, alan c wrote:
> I am still rather failing at an early hurdle unfortunately.
> I am working on the thought that the files I need are already in
> /var/cache/apt/archives
> and after burning these to CDR I have tried to then use
> sudo apt-get -o update dir::cache=/media/cdrom0/apt/archives
> and I get a response:
> E: Option update: Configuration item specification must have an =<val>.
>
> any thoughts?

I think the reason you are failing is because you are making an incorrect
assumption
about how apt/dpkg work.

You don't just point apt at a bunch of debs and expect it to install them, it
doesn't
work like that. You *could* point dpkg at a directory of debs and see if it can
install
them - hoping you still have all necessary dependancies (which you probably
should).

Apt requires a repository which consists of pools of directories sorted
alphabetically,
and other files which index those pools. The easiest way to explain it is to go
and have
a look at a repository.

http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/
http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ - contains all the packages
http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/dapper/ - for example contains the
indexes of
the packages in the pool.

I would recommend you use one of the tools recommended, apt-move, apt-mirror,
debmirror
and so on.

Cheers,
Al.