Hi everyone, I just joined the list and this is probably a good topic to
introduce myself. I'm an IT manager at a secondary grammar school, I use Ubuntu
at work for a DHCP/NTP/Proxy/Filter server and at home for other activities.
Our Desktops at school are XP Pro, they have various bits of Open source
software such as Firefox, Audacity, The Gimp, OO, 7zip & NVU.

OO is offered as an alternative to MS Office, it sees about 2% usage from
students that have it at home. Our IT teachers will not touch it as it involves
rewriting worksheets for students which have all been based on MS Office.
However whilst Writer and Spreadsheet does'nt cause problems, the database
package does. With the other initiatives that teachers have to keep on top of
and lack of extra preparation time rewriting of all the resources is
impossible. If resources or books were available then this would help greatly.
On the teach-ict resources website (www.teach-ict.com/) there are no Open
Office materials, which is a shame as the idea in school is to teach
transferrable skills and at the moment with the database program it is unclear
how to use it. There does'nt seem books on Open Office either, on Amazon there
is only OO for dummies. Our school cannot afford to dump all the training
materials and money invested in resources that are geared up to MS Office and
of course the money invested in the licences. The same goes for the DIDA course
where Dreamweaver is used instead of say NVU.

I fully suport Open Source values, and I really believe that our students
should have the opportunity to try out alternative OS's and use Open source
software but without the resources it's a no go area, if many resources become
available then I'm sure it will fly.

Merry xmas to all

Jonathan Lees