I don't really know what you are trying to do but if it is a win machine,
Filezilla is an exellent
ftp gui that allows you to do everything your trying to with linux filesystems,
from creating
 dir's to setting 3 digit file/dir  permissions (ie 777, 755, 644) by simply
right clicking on the
file or directory selecting attribs and typing the 3 digits or even select them
with tick boxes
if needed...

Hope this is of some help...

James DSorry for Top posting...