On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 19:27 +0000, Kevin wrote:

> This is very helpful, thank you. The only reason I wondered about the
> integrated graphics was that I have a notebook with that and Linux won't
> install on it, everything else about the notebook is better than the
> desktop I have Ubuntu installed on at the moment. If you all want a
> laugh the specs of the desktop are

What happens when you try to install on your laptop? What make/model is
it? I don't know many graphics cards (integrated or not) that aren't
supported in one way or another in Linux.

> K63-450, 256 MB RAM, 10 MB H/D, 8 MB ATI card (yep, it's old), Standard
> CD Drive (not a writer), External CD/RW (USB), Zip 250 (USB) OK, have
> you all finished laughing yet?

Chuck some more memory in it and it would improve considerably. Of
course the K3-450 isn't blisteringly fast but that spec is exactly half
of the laptop that use daily - a 1GHz Celeron with 512Mb RAM.

If you have the funds to spend on new hardware then that's great, but
don't worry too much about the integrated graphics. If you find some
online offer, feel free to mail this list asking if anyone has one or if
anyone can determine whether it will be compatible.

> The integrated video with the machine I'm
> considering is an Nvidia 6100 I imagine this will work without probs as
> I believe Linux works with Nvidia cards (even if they are Integrated).

Yes, there is an open source driver which works fine on pretty much
every NVidia card out there. There is also a closed-source binary one
direct from Nvidia themselves which performs better, but is proprietary.

Cheers,
Al.