Caroline
Sorry for your troubles.  Just looked up LUG for West Cornwall only to find
that there is no active group in Devon, let alone Cornwall, let alone West
Cornwall.  If all these experts really want Ubuntu to take off, they must
realise that ivory towers exist in all walks of life.  Location is not so
important as someone who is prepared to sit on the end of the phone for an
hour or two talking for free in words of one syllable to a thick and
desparate idiot on the other end.  And happy to start with:  "Have you
plugged in to the mains ?"  Then and separately: "Is it switched on ?"
Perhaps some national roster so that someone's available all the time, with
fall-backs if busy.
Regards
Robin