Alan Pope wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 02:38:11PM +0000, baza wrote:
>> >

>> > I give phone support (free) if asked, for local contacts.  I am not
>> > any expert!
>> >
>> > When I began with linux a few years ago, I was experienced with online
>> > use getting help, but found my local LUG of limited value for a number
>> > of reasons. I like the idea of very local help. Experience to date
>> > suggests that it is only the very initial questions that need answers,
>> > reassurance included.
>>
>> The best advice anyone can give, IMHO, is to burn your 'home' directory
>> to CD or DVD every month, that way if you system does the big firework
>> you can reinstall and keep (most) of you data.
>>

> Heh, that might not be quite so easy for many people.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ du -hs .
> 100G
>
> Maybe time to get one of those new fangled HD-DVD or BD burners ;)
>
> Alternatively you could use a nice backup tool such as SBackup [0] or
> HuBackup [1] to selectively backup the stuff that is important
> like documents, photos and email, skipping the less important stuff (and
> bulky stuff) like games (which can be re-installed) or (in my
> case) qemu/virtualbox virtual machine images:-
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/vm$ du -hs .
> 53G
>
> Cheers,
> Al.
>
> [0] http://sbackup.sourceforge.net/ScreenShots
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HomeUserBackup

Kubuntu offers kde keep, (as does suse with kde). This did not work in
suse and does not work with dapper or edgy I think. Others have also
found this. The backup periods are offered to be set but are ignored,
giving hourly only, for example.

IIRC python has to be installed first manually also. A bit of a guess
for me - I accepted most stuff that seemed python related.....

Keep promises to be *exactly* what I require, and have always
required. I just wish it worked.
It is based on rdiff-backup, which I now actually use from cl etc, but
I strongly prefer gui.

I think I tracked one problem back to lack of all dependencies. Keep
really is easy, and rdiff-backup is a good base.

If Keep stays in the kde menu (system), then it hopefully should work.
If I had more time I would persue it. I am not fully well just now also.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391