On 31/01/07, Scrase, Eddie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The BBC are running a consultation about introducing on-demand services (for
> example, replaying shows over the internet).

Noticed this as well, was half way through writing an email about it
when yours arrived in my Inbox, great minds think alike?

At least the trust is kind of on our side:
> The Trust also recommends that the BBC adopts a more platform-agnostic
> approach to the digital rights management framework which protects the
> programmes offered for download.
>
> The DRM framework currently relies on Microsoft technology but, the Trust
> says,
> the BBC must develop a more platform-agnostic approach "within a reasonable
> framework" which takes account of other technology, such as Apple and Linux.
>From <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6317389.stm>

My view on non MS platform support: Extremely important. Not only do
non Microsoft users still have to pay the license fee if they own a
T.V. but the BBC was also created to cater for those who other
commercial entities didn't, so if anything it is more important to
make it available on non MS platforms than on MS platforms.

Does Canonical plan to make a formal response to this? They are based
on the Isle of Man aren't they?

All I can say is that I will be extremely disappointed if the BBC make
it Windows only. I have a Dual Boot and my Windows usage is dwindling,
I have found nothing on Windows that I want to use (forced to use
PowerPoint, but never want to).
I think the BBC giving people a reason not to use Linux or Open
Source/Free Software is surely interfering with commercial markets is
it not?

If its too much work to make a player for Linux, then release all the
documentation, APIs and Specs, you never know someone may be kind
enough to develop the application for you.

It worries me also that the BBC was allowed to spend money on
developing this program for Windows systems when it could have simply
provided the server side bit and let other people create the clients,
saving the BBC money.

Also a good quote from an analyst about the need for players for every
different download service harming adoption.

> "Consumers will have a computer littered with applications that take up
> space and memory. It would be like having to have separate set-top boxes
> to watch content from competing broadcasters,"

If only we had a standard for data transfer or video encoding.

Andy