Tony Arnold wrote:
> Alan,
>
> alan c wrote:
>> On one machine I installed ubuntu 6.06 dapper then at a later date,
>> added edubuntu-desktop. I think I probably accepted an 'as default'
>> choice with edubuntu at some stage also, not sure.
>> When edubuntu had served its purpose I removed edubuntu-desktop.
>>
>> So far so good, and once things are up and running, I am running ubuntu.
>>
>> However, when booting, the (splash?) screen (which contains the
>> progress bar), still shows Edubuntu!
>>
>> This machine is a demo machine and so it is important I show correct
>> screens, in the context in this case anyway.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest something useful please? Reinstall is an option, I
>> would prefer to avoid it just now though.
>> Who knows which file and where to edit or overwrite maybe?
>
> I'm going from memory here, but I think you need to do something like:
>
>       update-alternatives --config usplash-artwork.so
>
> and select usplash-default.so
>
> I think you then need to do:
>
>       update-initramfs -u
>
> but I'm not 100% sure about the details of the initramfs bit.
>
> Regards,
> Tony.

Hey! great - success!  Thanks indeed.

Your answer gave me enough confidence to guess that the problem item
was called usplash  or similar, so with my fire resistant  underwear
on, I used synaptic package manager to search for usplash, and saw the
context option to re-install it.
Bingo. done!
--
alan cocks