Hi,

On Sun, February 11, 2007 11:12 pm, Philip Wyett wrote:
> On 09/02/07, Dean Sas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> Philip Wyett wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I have been reading about the Ubuntu / Linspire CNR deal and I have
>> > some serious reservations about it.
>> >
>> > Will CNR be part of a default desktop installation?
>>
>> Not according to the FAQ that was released with the press release. We
>> are to get some "CNR like" features eventually. I imagine this could tie
>> in to the new totem hook which prompts you to enable multiverse and
>> install codecs when playing patent encumbered videos, only perhaps
>> referring you to CNR rather than the legally questionable packages.
>

> Well... In the FAQ we can see "CNR is added to the standard Ubuntu
> software
> installation method to complement existing functionality". This covers a
> multitude of sins and could mean many implementation methods.
>
> Someone needs to come out and honestly say what is the initial plans at
> this
> time; and make sure that person does not work in any PR or marketing
> department.

You are more likely to get a response from such a person by posting to an
appropriate mailing list.

There is nothing -uk specific about this discussion, it should continue in
Sounder (cc:ed).

My opinion is that I'm fairly confident the developers know the
disadvantages of adding a separate and parallel installation software
package, and will ensure that any benefits brought by this new feature
will be appropriately integrated into the current Ubuntu setup. For me,
the basic requirements are:

1. Integration with gnome-app-install and existing Ubuntu channels; and
2. Flagging up the commercial nature of the software available.

Your post raises a sensible concern about the way that these new
announcements are communicated. So I'm cc:ing the Canonical Communications
Manager.

I don't think that the Ubuntu community ever really gets this information
in the right way - technical implementations of new commercial and
marketing policies is something that it is extremely important for the
Ubuntu community to hear from the right source, given Ubuntu's emphasis on
open development. Unfortunately, the general practice seems to be to plan
these things behind closed doors (understandable) and then leave the
general community guessing (and worrying) about the technical details and
non-marketing consequences (not understandable).

The consequence of this practice is that my view that the implementation
of this feature will be done in the Right Way has to be based on trust,
rather than on reliable information having been provided. That trust is
something I am always willing to give to Canonical based on past
experience of them doing the right thing for Ubuntu, but I am always
slightly uncomfortable whenever I have to fall back on it.

I know that it's hard to marry up Canonical's business activities with an
open development community, but with increased communication I believe
that improvements can be made.

Matt
--
http://www.mdke.org