On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 18:23 +0000, alan c wrote:
> Really? I am surprised.

Try buying a Dell computer over the phone. They will do almost anything
to get your business. If you can be bothered to keep putting up with
their calls you can get quite good deals. It's no different than the
comparison between paying forecourt price for a car or talking to the
dealer.

>  There have been two detailed reports in recent
> weeks about two individuals one in usa and one uk I think, who managed
> to get a refund of the windows tax from dell.

This has been brought up before. As far as the reporting I saw, it
*wasn't* a refund of their Windows tax. It was a payment made *by*
*Dell* essentially to keep the customer happy and make them shut up and
go away.

> Each took about two days
> on the phone it seems, but with preparation and skill, they were
> successful.

They may well have felt better given they got some monetary reward for
their work but I severely doubt that the refund made its way back to
Redmond (or indeed Reading).

> Which type of computers did your contacts purchase, and do you think
> the deal was of a form that could be made public?

I don't recall what kinds of machines they had. You could always try it
yourself :) There's no harm in going through the exercise of calling
them to see what they will be willing to negotiate on. You can always
say "no" and walk away at the end.

> If so, I do not
> understand why it has not apparently been publicised,

They were under the impression at the time (this was a while ago) that
everybody who wanted to do this would just call up and do it. They
didn't realise it was such a big deal.

> I would like to publicise purchases such as you describe, if possible.

I wouldn't publicise based on the 3rd hand hearsay you got from me :)

Cheers,
Al.