On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 22:40 +0000, alan c wrote:

> What I would like to have is separate and different desktop
> configurations for each installation, and would be grateful for
> suggestions about how I now arrange for a different desktop
> configuration for the 6.10 version.

Well of course the blindingly obvious answer is to have separate /home
directories.

You could do that one one of the installs (the newer one?) by
temporarily by editing the /etc/fstab and commenting out the line
referring to /home. Do this in single user/recovery mode, then make sure
it isn't currently mounted (umount /home) and make a home directory
(mkdir /home) and make a home directory for your user (mkdir /home/alan)
then change ownership of it (chown alan:alan /home/alan)

Of course replacing all occurrences of "alan" with your user name.

This would (in one install) give you a clean home directory.

Cheers,
Al.