On 03/03/07, alan c <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Benjamin Webb wrote:
> I am thinking about swithcing to ubuntu,

Welcome!

> but I use an AOL ADSL modem to access the internet. This will not
> work well with linux (apparently the eccisadsl drivers may be
> uncompatible).
>
> Therefore, I a router to replace it with. I have found this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-5-Port-100-Switch-SD205/dp/B000225CXG/ref=sr_1_75/203-8642488-2050310?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1172871998&sr=1-75

This does not seem as if it includes an ADSL modem, it looks like just
a switch only. I believe you are looking for an ADSL modem/router
combination unit.
This unit will have at least one ethernet out socket (port) to
connect to your network card in the PC.

Already answered this.

Some units may have (more) 4 ports, which can be very useful
in future when you also want to connect up a laptop temporarilty or
the spare PC you can now use easily with linux(!)

Expandability is a user preference. The mailer specified that he would be
really
only attaching one PC and had a specific budget. I did offer alternatives
that were
supported by his provider, but he stated he only had certain requirements
and asked
if a certain bit of hardware would do the job. Based on this I looked at the
hardware
providers manuals and gave an assessment.

It is good to have the elements of hardware firewall that are included
in most such modem/routers eeeefor example:
Technical Details
ADSL 2/2+ Modem Router Single port
Stateful Packet Inspection firewall
Cost Effective Solution
MAC Address filtering
Quick Setup Wizard (for the modem part, for windows software)

You do not get similar 'firewall' protection when using a usb
connection from the
modem. The solwise unit mentioed elsewhere in this thread

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solwise-ADSL-SAR-600E-Single-ADSL2+-Router/dp/B000IB9R3C/ref=sr_1_8/203-8642488-2050310?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1172874514&sr=1-8
looks like a nice item, although I see it has only a single port.

It also does not specifically say that the setup menus may be
accessed via a browser (web, HTTP) interface

Even looking at the quick setup guide shows you there is access via
a browser with the default username of 'admin' and password of
'admin'.

<snip>

Regards

Phil